Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Teach Us to Pray - Part 2

Created by my dad, Mike Marbut.

TEACH US TO PRAY 2


II. PRAYER IS MY RESPONSE TO THE WILL OF GOD


1. God is God, and God is our heavenly Father. Prayer becomes that time when I seek Him, not to bring Him to my viewpoint, but to bring myself to His, by the discovery of His will and way.


THY WILL BE DONE ON EARTH AS IT IS IN HEAVEN”.


We have no basis for believing that our Heavenly Father will answer prayer, and give us the things we need, unless we sincerely say, “THY WILL BE DONE”.



2. THE LORD’S prayer shows the need of man to be in obedience to the will of God. Prayer brings the will into complete conformity with the Divine will, and links heaven and earth in a oneness of spiritual relationship. When the will of man is in perfect accord with the will of God, his obedience on the earth will be like the obedience rendered in heaven. The willingness of the man to serve the Lord, and his purpose to please Him, will equal that of the angels in heaven.



3. THE FATHER’S will can mean sacrifice and suffering, for it presents the cross to us. There is no escape from the sufferings of the cross; there is no crown without a cross. When we offer the Lord’s prayer we agree to all that the will of God contains for the present, and for the future: TO REFUSE IS TO PERISH; BUT TO YIELD MEANS ETERNAL LIFE.



III. PRAYER IS MY RESPONSE TO THE INVITATIONS OF GOD


The scriptures abound in invitations from God to pray, and in promise to these who accept………..


1. THE INVITATION OF GOD TO FELLOWSHIP

“One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to enquire in His temple.” PSALMS 27:4


When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, Lord, will I seek.” PSALMS 27:8





CLASS II - PAGE 1

2. THE INVITATION OF GOD TO REST


“Casting all your care upon Him, for He careth for you.” I Peter 5:7



3. THE INVITATION OF GOD TO FIND STRENGTH AND WISDOM


“He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might He increaseth strength.” ISAIAH 40:29



4. THE INVITATION OF GOD TO GIVE ME PROTECTION AND HELP


“I waited patiently for the Lord; and He inclined unto me, and heard my cry. He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.” PSALMS 40: 1-2




5. THE INVITATION OF GOD TO BEAR ONE ANOTHER’S BURDENS, TO BE INTERCESSORS.


“Praying always with all prayer and supplications in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints.”

EPHESIANS 6:18




PRAYER IS


1. MY RESPONSE TO THE CHARACTER OF GOD


2. MY RESPONSE TO THE WILL OF GOD


3. MY RESPONSE TO THE INVITATIONS OF GOD




IF YOU ARE A STRANGER TO PRAYER, YOU ARE A STRANGER TO THE GREATEST SOURCE OF POWER KNOWN TO HUMAN BEINGS.


“I WANT TO BE A GIANT FOR GOD.”





CLASS II - PAGE 2



0 comments: