Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Walking The Line

Dad mentioned something in one of his sermons Sunday that got me to thinking - he said that God would not put more on us than we could bear. And I thought (with no disrespect to God intended) that He sure is walking that fine line on me. And then that got me to thinking back to my childhood to what I used to do to my dad. So here's a little story for you........... Once upon a time, a very long time ago (ok - not THAT long ago), there was this little girl who liked to live on the edge - so to speak. One day the little girl and her sisters talked their dad into letting them ride their trikes out in the gravel drive-way. But the dad drew a line and told the girls NOT to cross the line or else!! Well the little girl's two sisters listened to what dad had to say because they DID NOT want the 'or else'. But the little girl, being the line walker that she was, thought she'd test the 'or else' theory. But, she to, did not want the 'or else'. So she would drive right up to the line and then ever so slowly she would look around to see if dad was looking and then she would slowly inch her big toe closer and closer to the line until finally her toe was across the line. Feeling good about herself because she was able to pull off such a feat, she went back to riding her trike. Little did she know that dad was watching from the window and saw the whole thing.
Now back to the present.... That's what I think God is doing. Yes I know He will not put on us more than we can bear, but I think He's got his big toe inching ever so slowly across that line. But I know He's my Heavenly Father and that He's going to see me AND Grace through the next seven months. I know this has got to be hard on her too. We've been together her whole life (except for a week here or there) and I know the seperation will be just as hard on her. And just like my earthly dad saw what I did and 'let it slide', I know God will see deep in my heart and let my feelings slide. I love God more than I love Grace and He knows that. I'm just a distraught mother trying to come to terms with her only child, the child that has her whole heart, being in the hands of the government for the next 7 months and there's NOT A THING I can do to help her if she needs me. That hurts.
But I put her (and me) in our Heavenly Father's hands and we will rest there 'under the shadow of the Almighty' until we see each other again at Christmas and then in May.

1 comments:

Lori said...

That was a great story. I totally agree. I sometimes feel like I have so much on me I can't bear but God always see's me through